State health officials have identified a case of typhoid fever in a food handler at Purdue University. They say anyone who ate at the Boiler Bistro, John Purdue Room or the coffee shop Lavazza on the West Lafayette campus from January 23rd to the 25th might be at risk. Symptoms typically start eight to 14 days after exposure. Typhoid fever is a life-threatening illness caused by the salmonella bacteria. Officials believe the food handler at Purdue acquired the illness while travelling abroad. The bacteria can be transmitted through contaminated food or drink.