State Police would like to remind the motoring public of a few safety tips for driving during inclement weather.
Drive according to road conditions:
• Allow extra time to get to your destination.
• Clear all windows of ice and snow and remove snow from hood, roof and head lights and tail lights.
• Beware of bridges, underpasses, overpasses and intersections where ice tends to form first.
• Don’t use cruise control on slick roads.
• Avoid abrupt stops and starts, slow down gradually and keep wheels turning to avoid losing traction.
• Use headlights even during daylight hours
• Increase the following distance between you and the vehicle in front of you.
• Decrease your speed according to the road conditions
The most common cause of crashes during snow or icy weather is speed too fast for the existing road conditions. Please slow down and be patient. Plan your trip according to weather and traffic conditions.
Also for up to date Road and Weather Conditions, please call 1-800-261-7623, or visit INDOT’s web site at TrafficWise.IN.gov. PLEASE DO NOT CALL your local City, County or State Police for road conditions. PLEASE leave our phone lines open for emergency calls.