Officials Remind People To Get Carbon Monoxide Alarms
The Illinois State Fire Marshal is stepping up efforts to raise awareness about fire safety and the danger of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Larry Matkaitis says things can especially be dangerous as people try to keep warm in the bitter cold weather.
Matkaitis says they’ve put out several warnings this year but they’ve still seen quite a few problems with carbon monoxide poisoning.
Common symptoms include headaches, nausea, difficulty breathing, vision problems, dizziness, and sometimes death.
Illinois state law requires people to have a carbon monoxide detector within 15-feet of their sleeping room.